Passa ai contenuti principali

In primo piano

AI, matematica, insegnamento, e quelle cose lì

  Sono momenti di grande fermento, nella comunità matematica. L'annuncio che un'AI (Artificial Intelligence) avrebbe risolto un importante problema matematico relativo alle equazioni di Navier-Stokes ha scatenato fiumi di parole (cit.) e guerre di opinione sulle possibili ricadute di una tale ingerenza artificiale in ambiti tradizionalmente riservati al pensiero umano. Non voglio farla lunga, ci sono dozzine di testi pronti all'uso, per supportare o confutare qualsiasi opinione personale. Mi limito qui ad un modello banalissimo, ma altrettanto concreto: l'insegnamento. Anzi: l'insegnamento che da alcuni anni tengo al primo anno della laurea triennale in matematica. Ho studiato decine di libri, ne ho scritti tre, e umilmente sento di avere ormai una visione abbastanza concreta della materia che insegno. Quest'anno ho voluto fare un esperimento: ho selezionato qualche libro e qualche articolo particolarmente pertinente con il programma del mio corso, ho scelto una...

When = is not =

This morning I had a nice discussion on the NNTP group it.scienza.matematica about the use of $latex \arcsin$. In my opinion, we should abandon the old habit to define $latex \arcsin$ as the inverse function of some restriction of the sine function. I mean that it would be nice to write that the solution of the equation $latex \sin x = y$ is $latex x \in \arcsin y$. And this could probably prevent young students from manipulating goniometric formulas without thinking about it.

More generally, think of the Landau notation little-oh. We all know that, given a function $latex f$ and an accumulation point $latex p$ for the domain of $latex f$, the notation $latex o(f)$ means nothing but the set of all those functions $latex u$, defined on a neighborhood of $latex p$, such that

$latex \lim_{x \to p} \frac{u(x)}{f(x)}=0$.

Hence the formula $latex u=o(f)$ is a big mistake. We should always write $latex u \in o(f)$. Let me give an example that I found while acting as a referee. The authors had the assumption

$latex c = I(u)+o(1)$.

Then they wrote

$latex I(w) = \ldots = I(u)+o(1) = c$.

This is false, of course! They could prove that $latex I(w)=c+o(1)$, but they had no reason to simplify little-oh's like they were numbers!

Anyway, I understand that Landau's symbols are so useful and popular that I can't change its usage. So, be careful!

Commenti

Post più popolari