Mac OS tricks

As a GNU/Linux experienced user, I have always been confused by Apple's Mac OS startup process. Well, it is true that modern GNU/Linux systems tend to be much more messy that they used to be a couple of years ago; but I am an Archlinux user, and therefore I stick to old-fashioned BSD-like startups.

When working with Apple's Mac OS, I cannot really understand what happens at boot time, nor how I can prevent something to happen. This evening I stumbled upon a very useful page. The boot process is clearly explained, though I can read some paranoid attitude towards Apple. More or less I was already aware of the launchctl command and of the several directories where Mac OS puts daemons and binaries to execute at boot/login time. But I was completely unaware of the so-called console trick. It is, roughly speaking, the GNU/Linux boot without Xorg. The graphic server is embedded into Apple's operating system, and you cannot avoid it completely (unless you boot in single-user mode, but this is rather useless for ordinary purposes). With the console trick, you can login in a text-only session, and you can debug the system, if needed.

Commenti

Post più popolari